I live for those few mintues I can make cupcakes and this week’s decadent chocolate mousse cupcakes just made life a little brighter!
Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we sometimes need a break. For me, that can mean taking a bath, going for a walk, or baking some decadent and ridiculously tasty cupcakes. This week meant making these awesomely fun chocolate mousse cupcakes.
They taste like an amazing combination of some of my favorite flavors: chocolate, icing, and cake. If you’re ready to make a batch of chocolate ganache cupcakes, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite easy dessert recipes board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make Easy Chocolate Ganache Cupcakes
- If you want to make a teeny tiny batch of just 2 cupcakes for a treat-for-two (or a double treat for one) you can use this awesome recipe for small-batch cupcakes here and just modify it to have a little chocolate.
- Start with your favorite chocolate cupcakes. I always break out my recipe for Lazy Girl Cupcakes because not only is it a no-fail cupcake recipe, but it’s super consistent. Plus, it calls for pretty standard ingredients, nothing weird I may not have on hand.
- Take my advice and never ice your cupcakes without waiting for the cupcakes to completely cool, not just to the touch, but all the way. Frosting and even slightly warmish cupcakes is a recipe for mess.
- Let’s talk about the magical mix of mousse, ganache and buttercream frosting. Sure, you can make a cream cheese frosting, but that’s going to downplay all that rich chocolate flavor. So, go your own way, if you want, but me it will be buttercream.
How Do I Make this Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 12 Chocolate Cupcakes (I like to start with my lazy girl chocolate cupcakes)
- 2 large Egg yolks
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2/3 C Heavy Whipping cream
- 1/2 C semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3 crushed OREO cookies
- 1 1/2 tbsp whole milk
- 1/2 C mini chocolate chips for topping
- 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
- 1 C semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 C unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ½ C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1-3 Heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 C mini chocolate chips
- Make the cupcakes per the recipe directions and allow them to cool completely before decorating.
- To make the chocolate mousse, in a medium sauce pan over low heat, combine the egg yolks, powdered sugar, and ⅓ heavy whipping cream until it starts to thicken and almost doubles in size, consistently whisking throughout.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add in the chocolate chips, stirring until completely melted. Allow the mixture to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form making whipped cream.
- Whisk 2 tbsp of the whipped cream into the melted chocolate to lighten it.
- Place ¼ C of the whipped cream into a piping bag and set aside.
- Fold in the remaining whipped cream and the crushed OREO cookies into the chocolate mixture.
- To make the ganache, in a small pot, add the heavy whipping cream and bring it to a slow boil.
- Put the chocolate chips into a heat safe bowl.
- Carefully pour the hot heavy cream over the chocolate chips and allow them to rest for 1 minute before whisking until fully melted and smooth.
- Place about a scoop of mousse onto the top each cupcake and spread it out evenly, followed by a drizzle of ganache.
- With a standing mixer, cream together the butter, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla until smooth and stiff peaks form.
- Place the frosting into a piping bag and place a dollop of frosting on top of each cupcake and sprinkle with mini chocolate and enjoy!
For more fun and easy cupcake recipes, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 697Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 139mgCarbohydrates: 73gFiber: 3gSugar: 62gProtein: 6g
All nutrition information is estimated. For accuracy, please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
More Easy Cupcake Decorating Ideas You Might Like
- Tiramisu Cupcakes – Still one of my top ten cupcakes of all time, this recipe is so easy, but makes for an amazing treat.
- Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes – You’re not going to find me turning down a big, plump strawberry on a cupcake. That would be cupcake abuse and I don’t put up with that negativity in my life.
- Cappuccino Cupcakes – Speaking of decadent and wonderful cupcakes, this easy recipe is where it’s at with the rich deep flavors and all that sweet swirl.
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite easy cupcake decorating ideas board on Pinterest.