This easy and fast awesome mom mug sublimation craft is so cool, I made this one for a gift – and immediately made another for myself!
Awesome Mom Mug Sublimation Craft
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we are all about that easy craft idea – even for DIY Mother’s Day crafts. I’m not shirking my daughterly-duties, just trying to work smarter with my allotted crafting time, that’s all. And when I had such success with making a sublimation bee-themed pillow case, I immediately decided I would be making an awesome mom mug sublimation craft too!
The design itself is a beautiful watercolor design with my favorite colors included. But it’s the execution that really gets my engine running. Literally less than 20 minutes from download to “this project is ready to gift!” So, if you’re in for an easy Mother’s Day gift idea, let’s get started!
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite DIY gift ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make This Mother’s Day Sublimation Craft
- Click here to grab the sublimation file set for the This is What an Awesome Mom Looks Like mug design. To make the sublimation project, you can use either the PNG or JPG file in order to make the craft, but you’ll get both, so you have that flexibility.
- If this is your first sublimation project and you don’t know where to start, I have a secret: you DO NOT need a fancy printer and all the special inks and all of the stuff that goes with that. The easiest way to start and see if you like this crafting method is by ordering a pre-printed sublimation design, just to test it out for yourself. That way you can try it before you invest. That’s what I decided to do, honestly. I ordered a few prints here, then just used my heat-press on them to apply them to a blank. I loved the sublimation process so much, I’m absolutely into it.
- Although you don’t HAVE to have a Cricut Mug Press, you can use one with this design. I used a convection oven and a silicone wrap I got here, and it worked just fine.
How Do I Make this Awesome Mom Mug Sublimation Craft?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- Heat-Safe Tape
- Convection Oven
- Silicone Mug Wrap
- Heat-Safe Gloves (or Oven Mitts)
- Preheat your convection oven to 400-degrees.
- Download the "this is what an awesome mom looks like" digital file set. Open the JPG or PNG file using QuickLook (Windows) or Preview (Mac). In the toolbar, select Edit, then Flip Horizontal. This will mirror the image.
- In the toolbar, select Print, then set up your print to full-size, filling the paper completely. Select your sublimation-ready printer and send the file to print.
- Once the file has printed, take a moment to wipe your mug down, so there is no dust on it to get in the way of your design.
- Cut the edges of the print off to make the paper fit around your mug. I recommend leaving about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of paper on the long sides to help reduce the possibility that the paper will char your mug.
- Place the print face-down on the mug, positioning it where you want the design to appear. Tape the paper in place with the heat-safe tape to ensure that the design will not wiggle if you accidentally bump it while putting on the silicone wrap.
- Gently, but firmly wrap the silicone wrap around the mug, latching it under the mug handle.
- Place your mug into the convection oven for 13 minutes. Many tutorials call for 14 minutes but I found that 13 minutes was my "sweet spot". You may want to experiment with your oven and supplies to find your "sweet spot" as well.
- Using heat-safe gloves, remove the mug from the oven and remove the silicone wrap. Peel the heat-safe tape from the mug, removing the sublimation paper at the same time. Set aside on a wire rack and allow the mug to cool to the touch until you can handle it without burning yourself.
- Fill the mug with tea and enjoy! (Just kidding, wash that first before you drink anything from it - this is coming from a mom, after all! LOL!)
For more fun sublimation crafts, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
More DIY Mother’s Day Gift Ideas You Might Like
- Best Mother’s Day Gift in a Jar Ideas – I can’t tell you how many fun ideas there are on this list to make for mom!
- Pastel Painted Mason Jars – One quick and fun craft you can make that will really get mom excited – and give her a few things to help organize the bathroom or kitchen!
- Mother’s Day Hot Cocoa Bombs – A gift that EVERY mom will LOVE – especially if you’re making her a DIY mug too!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite easy crafts board on Pinterest.