I decided to figure out how to make April Fools cupcakes for some little fun prank cupcake action for the kiddo. Funny, easy and totally worth it!
April Fools Cupcakes
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we are all about having fun with the kid. It’s the best ever – the giggles and laughs are so wonderful. So, since she’s definitely old enough now for some really great pranks, I thought why not try my hand at an April Fools cupcake?!
One of the easiest cupcakes I’ve decorated, by far, this is one of those that your kiddo will never forget. And it’s a great cupcake decorating idea for a large batch of cupcakes for a party. That’s a whole room of kids that won’t forget how funny the cupcakes were! If you’re ready to make some fun and epically awesome funny cupcakes for April Fool’s Day, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite easy cupcake decorating ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make Prank Cupcakes
- I decided to start with my favorite (all time, seriously) easy vanilla cupcake recipe. This fast and no-fail cupcake is soft, moist, tasty and makes the perfect base for any cupcakes you can imagine – even broccoli-topped cupcakes for April Fool’s Day.
- However you decide you want to top your prank cupcakes, be it cream cheese frosting, buttercream or canned frosting, you are going to want to add a bit of powdered sugar to it to make the frosting more lumpy. I’ve included a recipe for making the lumpy frosting – but you can certainly use any recipe. Just make it lumpy like mashed potatoes and you’re golden.
- No matter what you decide to frost your cupcakes with, never ever put icing on cupcakes until they’re cooled completely. A warm cupcake is absolutely one of the most fantastic confections, and frosting is so much awesomeness, too. But bringing those two together is asking for the frosting to melt and turn your whole confection into an icky mess, so let those prank cupcakes cool!
How Do I Make this April Fools Cupcakes?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
Buttercream Frosting (Mashed Potatoes)
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Sweet Cream Butter, softened
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1-3 tbsp heavy whipping cream
Fondant Decorations (Broccoli and Carrots)
- 1/2 cup Dark Green Sanding Sugar
- 1 package Green Fondant
- 1 package Orange Fondant
- Make your cupcake batter and bake per the directions for your favorite recipe. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and cool completely before frosting.
Frosting Directions (Mashed Potatoes)
- Make the frosting by creaming together the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream until lumpy and stiff.
- Spoon this onto each cupcake, making a mashed-potato-shaped mound.
Fondant Decorations Directions (Broccoli and Carrots)
- Make the broccoli by placing the dark green sanding sugar in a small bowl and rolling the aluminum foil into a tight ball with a dent on one side. Set aside.
- Break off 12 pieces of green fondant about the size of 1 1/2 tablespoons. Roll each into a 1-inch long roll on one half of each green fondant piece. Smash the other end into a blunt, thick, rounded chunk. I found this easiest to do by rolling the fondant on the table. Use the aluminum foil to add texture to this blunt end by dabbing the aluminum foil on it repeatedly. Once there's enough texture to your liking, dip the blunt end in the dark green sanding sugar. Gently knock off the excess sanding sugar then place the broccoli on top of the mashed potatoes.
- Make the carrots by breaking off 12 pieces of orange fondant about the size of a dime. Roll each into a small ball in the palm of your hand. Place each ball on the table, then use your thumb to smash the balls of orange fondant flat with about 1/4-inch thickness. Use an orange edible marker to color in the center of each carrot slice and add lines to give it shape and shade. Place one carrot slice on top of the mashed potatoes next to the broccoli. Then enjoy!
You will also need:
- 1 orange edible marker
- 1 small piece aluminum foil
For more fun cupcake decorating ideas, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. For a full policy on partner links, visit our policy page.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 641Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 265mgCarbohydrates: 111gFiber: 0gSugar: 98gProtein: 3g
All nutrition information is estimated. For accuracy, please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
More Easy Cupcake Decorating Ideas You Might Like
- Super-Moist Dragonfruit Cupcakes – I love how fabulous these dragonfruit cupcakes taste – and they look stunning, too!
- Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes – Strawberries piled on icing topped with cake crumbles stacked on a cupcakes. Delicious doesn’t even cover it.
- Sherbet Cupcakes – Combining a yummy ice cream flavor and a plentiful pile of icing is just the best cupcake ever.
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite party ideas board on Pinterest.