Elegant No Sew Girl Gnome in a Dress
Make this elegant, no-sew girl gnome in a dress in under an hour. In Spring of every year, I’m asked for inspiration on girl gnomes – everything from hair to outfits are topics I answer in emails. This year, I wanted to offer up a sweet and simple female gnome before the requests come flooding in.
For this DIY gnome, you will need fleece in two colors, a hot glue gun, fur or yarn for the hair, and basic stuffing supplies. Let’s get started – wouldn’t she be too sweet to give to mom for Mother’s Day?
RELATED READING: Floral Bouquet Gnome (You Have to See It)
Mother’s Day Gnome Idea
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, this time of year I start answering email after email about girl gnomes. Should I make one with braids? How do I braid fur? Should I make one with a dress? If so, do you have a pattern? Should I make the female gnome anatomically correct?
Get Secret Gnomes, Tips, & Freebies Delivered!
What is the best pattern to use when you don’t want to sew? Do you know the secrets to a properly-proportioned gnome? Do you know where to get the best-priced fur?
Get all of this (and exclusive content just for you) delivered right to your inbox with the gnome-making series, free of charge. Sign up to get the once-weekly newsletter (and a jaw-dropping special offer)!
I tell you, friends, we have some interesting conversations via email and in the DIY Gnomes Facebook group here (you should join). But back to our girl gnomes…
This year, I found a gorgeous fleece color I’ve never seen before and built this gnome just to use it. True story. Let’s make her together – you need about 45 minutes and basic gnome making supplies.
No Time to Make This Now? Save or Share for Later
If you need to gather up supplies (isn’t that color of fleece gorgeous?), save this to a gnome patterns pin board or share it on Facebook. Either way, this beautiful gnome craft idea will be here when you’re ready to begin.
As an Amazon Associate, I could earn from qualifying purchases. There could be affiliate links within this article.
Tips for Making This No Sew Gnome with Arms
- This no sew gnome is made using the Scandinavian Sweeties gnome pattern. It’s a HUGE pattern, full of different mitten styles and you can make a gnome with arms and legs, or any combination in between.
- In this easy gnome tutorial, I am using a needle to create a gathering stitch for the dress. If you truly want a no-sewing-of-any-kind dress, cut the rectangle about an inch smaller and wrap it around the body, placing it over the apron strings as indicated.
- To really accent the dress, I chose to make all of the gnome body, arms, hat, and mittens the same color. It’s a beautiful mauve I picked up at Joann’s, but you can choose any color fleece.
- For the apron or dress, you can use any fabric but keep in mind that tight-weave fabrics like cotton will not have any stretch. If you want to use those fabrics, cut the apron a half-inch to an inch longer and then gather.
- The look I chose for this girl gnome was one with simple hair to either side of her nose. Use fur, yarn, or doll hair to create any look you would like.
- For the gnome nose, I chose to use a wooden bead (wooden ball without the holes for this one), but you can use a felted ball, nylon stuffed with Poly Fill, or even make your own noses from polymer or air dry clay.
- I chose to add a floral accent in the gnome hat and recommend keeping the top simple so that the eyes are drawn to the dress. To help that, I used a gold thread picked up from the craft store and a large darning needle. Watch the video to see the stitch I used to get the details.
- Note: you can make this gnome as a sewing project. The pattern calls out instructions and seam allowances for each piece you choose to use.
RELATED READING: How to Make No Sew Sock Gnomes
Sweet Gnome in a Dress Instructions
Below is the written and printable tutorial. Be sure to get the Scandinavian Sweeties pattern to start and use the comments below to ask any questions. If you are a visual learner, you can watch the Girl Gnome in a Dress video tutorial here on YouTube.
While you’re there, please subscribe. We have a lot of fun in that community!
More DIY Gnome Patterns and Tutorials You Might Like
- Mother’s Day Floral Gnome – This is a beautiful bouquet gnome and makes a wonderful gift for mom.
- Pot Head Gnomes (Gnomes with Flower Pot Hats) – A beautiful result, this project is a great afternoon craft for all ages.
- Sunflower Gnome Pattern – This elegant flower gnome is going to be a conversation piece for years.
Please Save or Share
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Please save this to a DIY gnomes pin boar or share it with a crafty group on Facebook.