I love how easy these cute Moana cupcakes came together! Perfect for a simple afternoon treat or a Moana party table!
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we adore Moana and Maui. I mean, a little less Maui, because, you know, he’s a trickster and that leads to centuries of problems for the people of Motunui. But you know, he’s still loveable, right?
So, of course we mad fun Moana cupcakes featuring both the Heart of Te Fiti and Maui’s hook. I mean, what other pairing is more perfect?! LOL! If you’re ready to get these cupcakes out of the oven and onto your table, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite Moana party ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips to Make this moana party Food
- When making your Heart of Te Fiti for each of the cupcake toppers, be sure to smooth over the exterior. It won’t look much like the heart if it’s lumpy.
- To make these easy Moana cakes, I started with my favorite Lazy Girl cupcake recipe. It’s a fun no-fail cupcake recipe anyone can make as long as you follow the recipe!
- Don’t frost your cupcakes until the cupcakes have cooled completely. Then you’ll just have icky melted mess instead of cute iced cupcakes.
Tips for a fun disney moana party
- You could easily call these Maui cupcakes and serve them for a Maui Party, instead of a Moana party. Don’t feel constrained, seriously. They’re such easy cupcakes, there’s no reason not to make them.
- If you need an amazingly cute idea for Moana party favors, check out these adorable crowns I found! So sweet.
- Need more Moana party supplies? Oh, then you have to check out these adorable necklaces from View from a Step Stool. We made them once during a playdate and the kids loved them. So cute!
- Oh! And definitely check out these beautiful Moana paper lanterns you can make for your Moana party table!
How Do I Make this moana themed party treat?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 6 of your favorite vanilla cupcakes
- 1/2 can of your favorite vanilla frosting
- 1 cup marshmallow fondant or white modeling chocolate
- Blue food coloring
- NEON blue food coloring
- Black GEL food coloring
- Green GEL food coloring
- 6 vanilla wafer cookies
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Break your marshmallow fondant in half.
- To form the Hearts of Te Fiti, with the green GEL food coloring, work in 10 drops of food coloring into one portion of the fondant until the color is consistently green.
- Break off ⅓ of the now green marshmallow fondant and work in an additional 10 drops of food coloring into this ⅓ portion until this is a consistently darker color green.
- Break this dark green fondant into 6 pieces.
- Roll each dark green piece into a long, thin cylinder.
- Break the light green fondant into 6 pieces.
- Roll each light green piece into a long, thin cylinder and lay them next to one darker green piece.
- Starting at one end, roll the two green cylinders together into a spiral, making sure the dark green is visible between the rolls of light green.
- Smooth the rolls a little of these Hearts of Te Fiti.
- To form the Maui Hooks, with the black GEL food coloring, work in 6-7 drops of food coloring into the remaining white portion of fondant until the color is consistently grey.
- Break off ⅓ of the now grey marshmallow fondant and work in an additional 10 drops of food coloring into this ⅓ portion until the color is a consistently dark grey or black.
- Break the lighter grey piece into 6 pieces.
- Roll each lighter grey piece into a short, thick cylinder (about 3 inches long).
- Flatten each cylinder with your fingers and turn one end up to form a hook.
- Break off a small, miniscule portion of the darker grey fondant and place it across the top ⅓ of the hook, giving it texture with a spoon or your fingernail.
- Place all the Hearts of Te Fiti and Maui Hooks in the refrigerator until you’re ready to put them on the cupcakes.
- With your largest decorating tip, press into the top of the cupcake off-center, creating a well. Save hole tops.
- Place 1 tablespoon of coconut shreds inside the well in the cupcake.
- Replace hole top on each cupcake.
- Mix 5-7 drops of blue food coloring and 2-3 drops of neon blue food coloring into your vanilla frosting, stirring until the color is consistent.
- Place star tip in piping bag and fill with frosting.
- Frost each cupcake in a swirl, turning the piping bag as you pipe.
- Place vanilla wafer cookies into a zipper baggie.
- Crush vanilla wafer cookies with a rolling pin or your hand.
- Sprinkle about 1 cookie worth of crushed vanilla wafer cookie onto the top of each cupcake, rolling the cupcake in the crushed cookie, if necessary to get it to stick.
- Place one Maui Hook on each cupcake.
- Place a Heart of Te Fiti on each cupcake on the other side.
You'll also need:
- Wax paper (just to set your marshmallow fondant creations on)
- Star decorating tip and bag
For more fun Moana party ideas, visit RufflesandRainBoots.com
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 208 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 10mg Sodium: 109mg Carbohydrates: 33g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 25g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
More diy Moana birthday party ideas You Might Like
- Moana Bath Bombs – You definitely have to make these easy bath bombs for a fun party favor!
- Moana Family Movie Night – Not wanting to do a whole party? But you still need a fun movie night idea? Oh, I’ve got the ideas, if you’ve got the time.
- Moana Party Printable Popcorn Boxes – I always make popcorn for parties, there’s no reason not to–and having special popcorn boxes, well, that’s too fun.
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite Disney princess cupcakes board on Pinterest.