I am so impressed by these key lime cupcakes. They’re the perfect summer cupcake idea. And the little lime on top? I feel like a genius. It’s so tasty–the zing of lime and sweet icing?! Genius.
Key Lime Cupcakes
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, I’m big on creating summer cupcake ideas for all tastes. Every time I can find an excuse, I make a cupcake. I’m notorious for the small, personal treats. One of the BEST I made recently was this flavorful key lime cupcake recipe.
Simple and fun, the tart bite of the lime with the sweet frosting is summer in a cupcake liner. I can’t get enough of these key lime cupcakes, so let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite cupcake ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips to Make this Key Lime Cupcake Recipe
- To make the pretty swirly cupcake icing, use a star decorating tip. Don’t try to pile on too much frosting for these – a nice swirl is more than generous.
- Put a paper straw in any summer cupcake adds fun and is an instant decoration to match any party.
- Make sure your cupcakes are cooled completely before icing. It must be said that a warm cupcake with icing is not a tasty looking treat.
How Do I Make this Key Lime Cupcakes?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial. Be sure to let me know in the comments if you have some alterations to this recipe. I’m definitely going to make these again.
- 12 tbsp unsalted Sweet Cream Butter, softened
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 12 tbsp fat free sour cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp key lime zest
- 6 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 C flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 8 tbsp whole milk
- 8 tbsp fresh squeezed key lime juice
- 1 1/2 C unsalted sweet cream butter
- 3 C powder sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp fresh squeezed key lime juice
- 2 tbsp key lime zest
- 3-5 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 lime cut into slices for topping
- To make the cupcakes, line your cupcake pan with liners with fun summer cupcake liners and set aside and preheat the oven to 350-degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Add sour cream, vanilla and key lime zest. Add egg whites one at a time, mixing after each egg. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure all ingredients are well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk and key lime juice.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the egg white mixture and combine well. Then add the milk mixture and mix well. Add remaining dry ingredients, scraping the sides, and mix until combined.
- Fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 full and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.Set aside and cool completely.
- Combine the butter, powder sugar, vanilla, key lime juice and zest and the heavy whipping cream in a mixing bowl. If you get powdery lumps, add 2 more tbsp of heavy whipping cream. Mix until the frosting is smooth and stiff peaks form.
- Place icing into a piping bag and pipe the frosting onto each cupcake. Top each cupcake with a lime slice.
Tips and Additional Supplies
- Don't forget the lime zest - it packs a strong flavor punch.
- You can use store-bought frosting and add the key lime juice and zest to it.
- 1 cupcake pan
- cupcake liners
- large star tip and piping bag
For more awesome summer cupcake ideas, visit RufflesandRainBoots.com
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 394 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 57mg Sodium: 295mg Carbohydrates: 50g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 38g Protein: 3g
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
More Summer Cupcake Ideas You Might Like
- Party Cupcakes for Every Occasion – Seriously, if you need a cupcake, you can certainly find the perfect one (or two) here!
- Flamingo Cupcakes – Creating a summer vibe? These are the most amazing summer cupcakes for a pool party.
- Lazy Girl Vanilla Cupcakes – The simplest vanilla cupcake recipe ever made. It was genius to make them–and so I’ve made them over and over as the base for a million different party cupcakes!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite cupcake ideas board on Pinterest.