I was gearing-up to welcome Elf on the Shelf back and decided to do a fun Elf on the Shelf activity of making St. Bernard puppy cupcakes.
Elf on the Shelf Activity – Puppy Cupcakes
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we really get into Christmas. Seriously, it’s more than a month-long buildup around here and one of our favorite traditions is welcoming back Elfie and coming up with a few fun activities for our Elf on the Shelf to do while the kiddo is at school.
One of the coolest activities Elfie is doing: making cupcakes. I’m starting with this super fun recipe for puppy cupcakes. Or St. Bernard cupcakes. Dog cupcakes. Whatever you want to call them. If your Elf on the Shelf is looking to make a cupcake, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite cupcake decorating ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Love cupcakes and want free recipes?
If you use gMail or Yahoo, please check the spam or "promotional" folders. Whitelist my email address or reply to the email to ensure delivery of all files. Happy Holidays! - Sarah
Tips to Make Puppy Cupcakes
- If you’re running out of time, make this as easy on yourself as possible. Use premade frosting, writing icing in those little pouches and some premade cupcakes or even box mix. Get those long cookies and some little rootbeer candy barrels. Don’t overthink this. It’s super simple on purpose.
- If you run out of candy eyeballs, you can do what I did and just drop a little dab of icing and a dollop of brown icing. So easy.
- Be sure to put the cupcake up high enough that the dog won’t get it–a friend told me a story about that one time. Bad news when the elf’s fun treat gets nabbed by the pup.
How Do I Make this Dog Cupcake?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 12 of your favorite cupcakes (I used chocolate)
- 1 C unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 2 1/2 C powder sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 TBSP heavy whipping cream
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients
- 1 C semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 C Heavy Whipping cream
- 24 Milano Cookies
- 24 mini edible eyes
- 24 Rolo candies
- 12 brown m&m's
- 12 mini pink heart sprinkles
- Make your cupcakes per the recipe and allow them to cool on a wire rack completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, combine all of the frosting ingredients and mix on medium speed until a stiff but creamy frosting forms.
- To make the chocolate ganache, place the heavy whipping cream into a small pot over medium heat.
- Place the chocolate chips in a medium-sized heat-safe bowl.
- When the heavy whipping cream begins to simmer, remove the cream from the stove and immediately pour over the chocolate chips.
- Allow the chocolate chips to rest for about a minute before whisking until the chocolate chips are completely melted and smooth.
- Place the ganache into a squeeze bottle so you can easily apply it to the cupcakes.
- To assemble the St. Bernard cupcakes, use an ice cream scoop to place a dollop of frosting onto each cupcake.
- Use a spatula to lightly smooth the frosting, keeping the dome shape.
- Pipe out brown ganache in the shape of the area around the eyes.
- Place two candy eyes onto the center of the chocolate ganache you just piped.
- Use the ganache to pipe out a mouth detail between the eyes.
- Place a brown M&M (upside down) into the center of this mouth detail for the nose.
- Remove two of the long Milano cookies from the package and place one on each side of each cupcake to make the ears.
- Unwrap two Rolo candies and place a small dollop of ganache onto one of the wider flat sides of a candy.
- Place the other Rolo candy on top to form a barrel.
- Allow the chocolate ganache to harden so they two Rolos stay together.
- Place a tiny dollop of ganache in the center of the barrel, followed by a heart sprinkle.
- Place this barrel onto the bottom of the puppy face.
For more fun Christmas dessert ideas, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 842Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 249mgCarbohydrates: 111gFiber: 3gSugar: 98gProtein: 5g
All nutrition information is estimated. For accuracy, please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
More Christmas Cupcakes You Might Like
- Christmas Lights Cupcakes – I love this easy cupcake decorating idea–and Elfie might just be making some of these later in the week, if you know what I’m saying…
- Christmas Tree Cupcakes – Definitely check out these fun cupcakes because they’re super easy and ridiculously cute. Winner every time.
- Gingerbread Cupcakes – If you’re like me, you’re all about the holiday traditions and gingerbread is right at the top for me!
More Elf on the Shelf Ideas You Might Like
- 200+ Easy Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- 15+ Elf on the Shelf Star Wars Ideas
- 5 Elf on the Shelf Printables (including an adorable welcome back letter!)
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite Elf on the Shelf ideas board on Pinterest.