These fun rock village story stones are a great rock painting idea for kids. They can do all of it on their own, so let’s get started!
There are affiliate links in this article which means, at no additional cost to you, we could receive compensation for our recommendations. You can read our full disclosure policy.
Story Stones for Creative Fun
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we are huge fans of story stones as a rock painting idea for kids. Each image helps a child create a tale, building their storytelling skills.
In fact, we’re such big fans that we’ve created quite a few story stone sets. A few of them are:
- Easter Story Stones – The story of The Resurrection
- Christmas Story Stones – No artistic talent required!
- Camping Story Stones – My daughter’s current favorite.
- Weather Story Stones – So many teachers LOVE these for their classrooms.
This week, we’re letting the kids create their very own rock village!
Supplies for a Rock Village
This rock village is a snap to set up for kids. All we have to do is provide the paint and rocks, and the kids take over.
- rocks (cleaned, or let the kids do it)
- pencils and acrylic paints (we love to give the kids these paint pens, too – they’re easier)
- ModPodge (this one is suitable for outside use)
How to Make a Rock Village Rock Painting Idea for Kids
- Have the kids select the rocks which best suit their ideas for their town. Remind them of all of the buildings in your town and the places with which they’re familiar. A few are:
- Famous Landmarks
- Friend’s Houses
- Forest, Lake, Mountains, Ocean / Beach
- If you haven’t already cleaned them, give the rocks a good scrubbing with soap and water. Set aside to dry in the sun or lay them out on a towel.
- Have the kids sketch the designs on their rock village story stones before painting. It will save everyone a bit of frustration. Let them paint. Tip: for more vibrant colors on dark rocks, paint a thin layer of white before adding color over top.
- Once the paint has dried, cover in a sealant. For kids, a safe sealant is this ModPodge.
Over to You
Aren’t these just the cutest rock village story stones? I love this idea for a rainy or snowy day when the kids really, really, really want to be outside playing.
Please Share This on Facebook and Pinterest
Your shares are how we grow and get more people to see these fun ideas for kids. And we are sincerely grateful.