This Rae Dunn rock painting idea will add joy and style to your garden. Make them for yourself or as a gift – they’re a perfect example of simple beauty.
Inspiring Rae Dunn Rock Painting Idea
I have another fun rock painting idea for you all and I’m so excited because… well, look at them! Simple beauty – that’s what I think of when I see the pottery by Rae Dunn. From teapots to coffee mugs, the skinny, shaky lines of her text catches interest and eyes.
Many who love the farmhouse style turn to Rae for inspiration with her creamy, simple designs. This look translates well across many items from the kitchen and dining room to the patio and garden. And that’s where today’s rock painting craft takes us – outside!
No Time to Read This Now? Save it to Pinterest!
As an Amazon associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases. You can read our full disclosure policy.
Tips for Making Long-Lasting Painted Rocks
Rocks, when left outside like these, need to be able to withstand the elements. This simple design will do well in all weather, but here are a few tricks and tips for painting rocks.
- Make sure that the base coat covers the entire rock. You want an even coat if you can get it.
- Let the base coat cure fully. This means you might need to paint the base coat and wait a day or two – it depends on your paint.
- Sharpies and paint pens might run if you apply sealant directly. I advise putting a light coat of ModPodge on the words (dab, don’t brush it on) before sealing.
- Sealant needs to dry fully between coats. If you apply it too soon, it could bubble.
What to Write on Rae Dunn Rocks
You might not want to use the same words as I did – and that’s great! Perhaps you want to make garden markers for vegetables or flowers – go ahead. Another fun idea would be to place these in your potted plant pots to add a little interest or weigh down top-heavy plants.
Rae Dunn Inspired Rocks Video Tutorial
If you’re making a playlist of rock painting ideas on YouTube, you can find our Rae Dunn rock painting video here.
Be Sure To Follow Along with Ruffles and Rain Boots
We love making crafts here at the ‘Boots and would love to share them with you. Sign up to receive our weekly newsletter and you’ll get access to the Hand Lettering Library (full of free practice sheets and instructions) and the Exclusive Library (full of free cut files for cutting machines, tips on our favorite craft mediums, and all things fun)!
More Rock Painting Ideas You Might Like
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we love to share fun rock painting ideas. A few of our favorites are:
- Easy Unicorn Rock with Step-by-Step Instructions
- Kawaii Narwhal Painted Rock Tutorial
- Learn All the Ways to Paint Circles on Rocks – It’s fun and informative! :)
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Please pin this or share it with your favorite rock painting group on Facebook.