These adorable love monster cupcakes are the BEST cupcake decorating idea for Valentine’s Day. The kids absolutely love to join in on the fun!
Adorable Love Monster Cupcakes
These love monster cupcakes are so much fun to make AND eat. Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we love sharing fun Valentine’s Day cupcake recipes with you. But this one might the kid’s favorite.
If you aren’t a cupcake decorating guru (I’m not, either), these monster cupcakes are perfect because they let the frosting and tip do all the work. The best part is that the kids can be 100% responsible for decorating these as they see fit.
As an Amazon associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases. You can read our full disclosure policy.
The Best Vanilla Cupcake Recipe Ever!
If you’re looking for a great – and ridiculously tasty – vanilla cupcake recipe, this is it! It’s easily doubled or tripled and because it’s just for 12 cupcakes, it’s perfect for when you just want a few.
Tips to Make the Best Valentine’s Day Monster Cupcakes
If you’re new here, I need to tell you – I love, love, love cupcakes! They seem less daunting than a cake and I can decorate them all the same or go wild. Below are some tips to make your best love monster cupcakes ever.
- Don’t try too hard. These should wild!
- Get crazy with the decorations. Add a lot of candy eyes or make licorice arms. Three eyes? Sure!
- The kids love to see a bunch of differently-decorated monster cupcakes.
- Use various-sized icing tips (I use inexpensive couplers to make changing tips easy).
- To get the “spaghetti” frosting, be sure to let the frosting drop onto the cupcake. It might go a bit off the edge of the cupcake. If it does, wet your finger and gently push it back on.
- Note: if you’re creating a Valentine’s Day cupcake playlist on YouTube, here is our video of all Valentine’s Day cupcakes on Ruffles and Rain Boots.
Be Sure To Follow Along with Ruffles and Rain Boots
We love making crafts here at the ‘Boots and would love to share them with you. Sign up to receive our weekly newsletter and you’ll get access to the Hand Lettering Library, the Exclusive Library, and be kept up to date on all tasty treats!
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3-5 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pink food coloring (I prefer this gel to all others)
Monster Cupcake Decorations
- fondant in red for the monster ears
- marshmallows and brown M&Ms for eyes (or use candy eyes)
- miniature mustache icing decorations
- Start with 24 cooled vanilla cupcakes. I happen to be fond of my "lazy girl's easy vanilla cupcake recipe" which can be doubled. If you have a box mix you love, use that.
- Next, let's make the frosting. Place the butter, sugar, cream, and vanilla into a stand mixer. Mix on medium until stiff and cream (if it is clumpy, add another tablespoon of cream and mix until smooth). Add a few drops of pink coloring and transfer to a piping bag fitted with a coupler (or two bags with different tips - start with a 4 and decide if smaller / larger would be good). Set aside.
- If you're making the heart ears, place cornstarch on a flat surface and roll out the fondant. Cut with a small heart cutter and set aside to try. You'll need two for every cupcake.
- Now, let's work on the monster eyes. If you're making the eyes from marshmallows, cut out a circle from the marshmallow. Add a small dot of frosting and attach a brown M&M. You'll need at least one for every cupcake. Conversely, if you're using candy eyes, skip to the next step.
- We're to the fun part! It's time to decorate our love monster cupcakes. Holding the icing bag slightly above the cupcake, squeeze the bag and let the frosting come out and settle on the cupcake. Keep moving your hand and arm to distribute the frosting, allowing it to fall on top of previous strands. Add two heart ears, one eye, and any other decorations (we used mini candy mustaches).
- You're done with your fun, ready-for-a-party love monster cupcakes
All of the decorations can be substituted for anything! Get wild with licorice arms, gumdrop eyes, or any pre-made icing decorations.
Note: you can also try a grass icing tip, however, it is a little more difficult to push the icing through.
Get more cupcake recipes at RufflesandRainBoots.com
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 176 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 26mg Sodium: 31mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 21g Protein: 0g
Other Valentine’s Day Cupcakes You Might Like
I mentioned that I love cupcakes, right? Let me give you a glimpse into my crazy… Here are a few more Valentine’s Day cupcake decorating ideas you might like:
- Teddy Bear Cupcakes – Cuties for your cuties! Seriously, these are adorable.
- Hilarious Poop Emoji Cupcakes – They are as funny as you think and draw a chuckle.
- See all of Ruffles and Rain Boots’ Valentine’s Day cupcakes here.
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Please save it to Pinterest or share on Facebook.