The kiddo wanted another Wizarding World craft marathon, so we made this Hedwig paper craft to go with our other Harry Potter crafts!
Hedwig Paper Craft
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we are serious fans of the Wizarding World. It’s so fun to watch the movies through the kiddo’s eyes – to read the stories together and let her experience all the magic that I love too. But we really bond over crafts, so of course, when she asked for some Harry Potter crafts time, we were making this Hedwig paper craft in a flash!
I made the little template, but the kiddo worked out the kinks and made this Hedwig craft over and over in multiple colors so we had a whole bevy of owls for our owlery. Now we just need a few letters and we’ll be ready for Hogwarts. Ha! If you’re ready to make a tiny paper Hedwig, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite paper crafts board on Pinterest and it’ll be here when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make this Harry Potter Paper Craft
- Click here to get the free printable template to make your Hedwig paper craft. I recommend using a paper roll as your base, but if you don’t have one, you can make one by simply doubling-up on the body piece.
- Making Hedwig is definitely the pinnacle of my week (I love that sweet owl more than is humanly rational), but don’t stop there. You can make Harry, Hermione, Ron or even Dobby with the same idea. Just make your own template and work from there.
- Speaking of getting creative, if you really wanted to amp-up your experience, you could make a couple of paper suitcases from different color craft papers and stack them. Then Hedwig would have an adorable little perch. All it takes is a couple of little boxes and a bit of decoration on them.
How Do I Make this Hedwig Paper Craft?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- Cardboard paper roll
- Colored craft paper
- Free printable template
- Craft glue
- Sharpie or marker
- Select cream, grey and off white colored craft papers for the Hedwig paper craft. Trace the head and rectangle patterns on the off-white paper, trace the wings on the cream paper and trace the small triangles on grey paper. Cut out the traced patterns.
- Stick the small triangle cutouts on the wing patterns.
- Stick the wing patterns on the middle part of the rectangle paper, keeping a small gap between both wings.
- Cut a paper roll into half then cover the half paper roll with the rectangle paper.
- Use a black sharpie to draw the eyes and beak of the Hedwig. You could also trace the beak pattern from the template on any colored paper you wish to have for the beak. Attach the head of the owl on the top side of the roll to complete the craft.
For more fun Harry Potter crafts, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
More Harry Potter DIy Ideas You Might Like
- Awesome Harry Potter Wreath – SUPER simple and perfect for an afternoon craft, this fun wreath is an all-year-round wreath you can put on the kiddo’s door or on their wall!
- Spellbook Notebooks – So much fun to be had with the kid decorating their spellbook with all the creepy-crawlies and a ton of “magic”.
- Hogwarts House Mason Jars – Mason jars are the best for storing your pencils, paint brushes, scissors and more and why not add a little Hogwarts charm?!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite Harry Potter crafts board on Pinterest.