When the kids were alohamoring the door to start the day, I knew that, for snack, I’d be making some Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cupcakes. Easiest Harry Potter cupcakes recipe you’ll find this side of Honeydukes!
Sorting Hat cupcakes
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we are suddenly in a Harry Potter frenzy. The kids are wanting to read the books and watch the movies and have a Harry Potter day EVERY DAY! It’s like the wizarding world has a fever and we’ve caught it. I love it.
So, when the kids asked for special Harry Potter cupcakes, well, I couldn’t resist making these easy Sorting Hat cupcakes. They’re so simple, it’s a little silly. But the kids can help and it makes for such a fun result–and a game while you’re eating them! Let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite Harry Potter party food board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips to Make Harry Potter Cupcakes
- Start with our Lazy Girl cupcake recipe. It’s so easy and fun to make. And no-fail. You seriously can’t mess up these cupcakes if you just follow the directions.
- If you’ve never used modeling chocolate before, that’s ok. It’s not hard at all. Just work it like you would clay and, if you don’t like what it looks like, mush it up and start over.
- Get the kids involved! This is a fun activity for them and making the sorting hats for these Harry Potter cupcakes is really very simple. The kids really should, no matter their age, be able to get their hands in the chocolate and roll it into a cone.
How Do I Make this Sorting Hat Cupcakes?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 6 vanilla cupcakes (I love using my Lazy Girl cupcake recipe)
- ⅓ can frosting
- Brown food coloring
- Modeling Chocolate:
- 1 12oz package chocolate chips
- ½ cup corn syrup
- Sorting Color Mix
- 1 cup corn syrup, divided into 4
- Red food coloring
- Blue food coloring
- Yellow food coloring
- Green food coloring
Make the modeling chocolate ahead of time by placing the chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl, then microwaving them for 1 minute.
Stir the chocolate chips until they are thoroughly melted.
Add corn syrup. You can microwave it for 15 seconds to make it easier to get out of the measuring cup, but do not get it hotter.
Stir until the chocolate pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
Place in a plastic bag and put in the refrigerator for 2 hours. To use later, place in the microwave for 10 seconds to make it malleable.
Make the sorting hats using the modeling chocolate by taking a ⅛-cup sized lump and shaping it into a cone on top and a brim with your hands. To make it wrinkly, you can bend and shape it or use your fingernails to dig gouges in it.
Using a large decorating tip, make a hole in the top of each cupcake, saving the remnants from each hole for use filling the hole in a moment.
Place 1 tspn of one color of the sorting color mix in each cupcake hole.
Replace the top of each cupcake hole.
Mix 5-8 drops of brown food coloring with the frosting.
Using your largest star tip and the piping bag, frost the cupcakes in a circular fashion, leaving about ¼-inch of room at the edges.
Top each cupcake with a sorting hat.
Star decorating tip
For more fun Harry Potter party food ideas, visit RufflesandRainBoots.com
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 811 Total Fat: 31g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 56mg Sodium: 263mg Carbohydrates: 145g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 128g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
More Harry Potter Party food You Might Like
- Harry Potter Cakes and Cupcakes – So many cake and cupcake ideas, your head will spin and your wand will explode!
- The Best Harry Potter Recipes for a Party – So many fantastic ideas for a Wizarding World party. Everything edible you’ll need from drinks to cakes to snacks!
- Harry Potter Snacks – Not doing a full-blown party, check out these easy snacks you can make in minutes.
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite Harry Potter party food board on Pinterest.