How fun is this Rae Dunn Inspired Candy Cane Mug?! It makes a great handmade Christmas gift with Cricut or Silhouette that everyone will love!
Rae Dunn Inspired Candy Cane Mug
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we have the best time making handmade gifts for friends, neighbors, gift exchange parties, teachers, you name it. Seriously, I have a lot of people on my list and I am planning to make them all by hand this year. Thanks to my trusty Cricut, I’ll be making some beautiful pieces like this Rae Dunn inspired candy cane mug!
And, seriously, this Cricut mug gift is so fun–but really, really quick. I think, between cutting the vinyl, weeding and transferring it, I maybe spent 10 minutes on this easy Cricut Christmas craft. I was able to make 6 mugs in about 20 minutes. So, when you’re batching it, this easy mug gift goes even faster.
If you’re ready to make some homemade Cricut mug gifts, let’s get started.
How Do I Download The Christmas SVG Files?
I’m so glad you asked!
Just scroll down to get the link to our shop. All I ask is that you share this page to Pinterest – maybe on a Cricut or Silhouette board. Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite handmade Christmas gifts board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make This Rae Dunn Christmas Mug
- Get all 4 SVG files – just click here to get the Christmas SVG files. They’re in our store, so while you’re there, poke around and see if there are any other fun Christmas SVG files you’d like to grab to make more fun handmade gifts for Christmas!
- When you’re working with vinyl, be careful on round surfaces, to work from the center outward. That way you don’t end up with any wrinkles and it’ll follow the curvature in the best way possible.
- Oh, your giftee isn’t into coffee mugs? What a shame, but that’s ok. Here are some more ideas:
- You can use the Christmas SVG files here to also make Rae Dunn inspired ornaments. I mean, can you imagine pretty ceramic round white ornaments or wood rounds with these pretty stilted words for Christmas ornaments? I can, and it’s amazing.
- You could also make home decor wall art from these Christmas cut files for Cricut or Silhouette. Just pop the marker in the blade holder and tell it to “go”.
- Heck, make some beautiful Rae Dunn inspired holiday bedding, bath mat, hand towels or even potholders. There are SO MANY ideas I’ve had that you can do with these holiday SVG files! And every one of them makes a fantastic gift idea.
How Do I Make this Rae Dunn Inspired Candy Cane Mug?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- A weeding tool
- A scraper tool or old gift card
- Scissors and/or cutter tool
- Cricut Design Studio Space or Silhouette Studio
- Wipe each mug you want to personalize with alcohol to clean off the surface.
- Place the desired cut files in your preferred design program and size to fit your mug (be sure to measure width and height for placement).
- Put the 651 vinyl to the light grip mat and cut the file after adjusting your material settings to vinyl.
- Weed the vinyl and cut the transfer tape to lift it. If you’re new to using vinyl, be sure to burnish the vinyl with a scraper tool so it will adhere properly to the tape. Be careful of any tiny pieces, such as the triangle in the uppercase A – you need those on the mug or it just looks silly.
- Flip the tape over and remove the backing from the vinyl letters (the letters should be facing down).
- Slowly and carefully place the tape on your mug, lining up the letters on the top or bottom edge in order to get an even application.
- Press the vinyl down, starting with the middle, then working down and outward, as you are working on a curved surface.
- With the scraper tool (or your fingers), apply pressure to all of the vinyl, smoothing out any air bubbles.
- Gently and slowly, lift the transfer tape, starting at the top right corner while pressing down the area just ahead of your edge as you pull up (if you’re right-handed, lift with your left hand and press items down with your right right). Because this is a thin font style, I use the pick when anything important raises with the tape.
- Fill the mug with the candies, tie on the ribbon and add the care instructions gift tag.
- Allow the vinyl to cure for as long as you can (24-48 hours) before gifting.
For more fun Rae Dunn inspired crafts, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
Get 45 More Free Christmas SVG Files
Crafting for the holidays can be hard and I’d like to help make it easy. I’ve put a ton of my brand new designs into the shop and are giving them away to subscribers for free. Happy holidays, indeed. Whether or not you’re already getting the Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter, just pop your info into the box below and you’ll receive 12 days of crafty happiness delivered right to your inbox.
Get the 12 Days of Christmas Cut Files (45 in All!)
If you use gMail or Yahoo, please check the spam or "promotional" folders. Whitelist my email address or reply to the email to ensure delivery of all files. Happy Holidays! - Sarah
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
More Easy Cricut Gift ideas You Might Like
- Reindeer Delivery Free Christmas SVG – I adore this Christmas cut file and can’t wait to stuff our biggest gifts into a giant canvas bag from Santa…
- 15 Cricut Christmas Pillow Projects – Ever wanted to give the gift of holiday cheer in a throw pillow form? I do!
- 15+ Christmas Ornaments Made with the Cricut – Isn’t it fun to give homemade Christmas ornaments as part of your Secret Santa at work or your friend’s gift exchange party? I love doing that and I always have fun making the ornaments, too.
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite Cricut crafts board on Pinterest.