This oozing slime cupcake recipe is so much fun to look at and to eat. These would be great for a slime party, as a Slimer cupcake for Ghostbusters fans, or as a cool Halloween cupcake idea!
These cupcakes are so different from anything we have shared with you before. We love the bright green coloring and the burst of flavor you get in every bite.
RELATED READING: Fun and Easy Ghost Cupcakes for Halloween (kid-friendly)
What You'll Find On This Page
Easy Slime Cupcake Recipe
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we’ve been making and playing with slime for years – it’s a great sensory experience for all ages. We’ve shared a ton of DIY slime recipes that have delighted thousands.
Get Cupcake Recipes, Freebies, and More!
If you’re setting up a party or are looking for a creative and easy Halloween cupcake idea, this is it! We think this cupcake recipe is what you need for your slime party ideas.
Need to gather up the ingredients for these cupcakes? Bookmark this page using the little heart at the bottom right or share it to social media. Either way will make it easy to find when you’re ready to begin making this creative cupcake idea.
As an Amazon Associate, I could earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within this article.
RELATED READING: Day of the Dead Cupcakes (Mickey and Minnie / Disney)
Why These Are The Perfect Cupcakes for Halloween
When I think of a witch for Halloween, I think of a cauldron full of their latest potion. Don’t they always look slimy and gooey as they it is being stirred? All the little witches this Halloween will get a huge kick out of these bright snacks.
They are visually striking, so they will absolutely catch your eye at a slime birthday party, birthday party, or Halloween gathering. They’ll be popular when you serve them.
They are not difficult to make. You just have three sections for this recipe, and they come together quite quickly whether you need a quick slime party dessert idea or a Halloween party.
RELATED READING: Adorable Frankenstein Cupcakes
Tips for Making Lime Curd Cupcakes
- You can use store bought cupcakes (vanilla will work better than chocolate for the effect).
- For the lime curd, we used a piping bag with no tip. You can just as easily pipe the curd by cutting off the tip of the piping bag and filling the cupcakes.
- To frost the cupcakes, we used a large round tip, like the one in this piping tip set to get a great swirl on the cupcakes.
- I recommend making the lime curd first so it has plenty of time to cool. If you pipe hot curd, it can break or melt the frosting on top.
- You can prepare the lime curd ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.
Ingredients For Lime Curd Recipe
Below are the ingredients I used for the lime curd cupcakes, filling, and frosting. Before you rush out to the store, check and see what you have in your pantry and fridge. For instructions on piping the lime curd, read the tips above.
- Lime juice Lime zest
- Unsalted butter
- Neon green food coloring
Each step for this recipe is detailed below so it’s easy to follow. Keep this page open while you are making your cupcakes. If you would rather have a printable recipe, scroll down and select the print button.
How to Make The Lime Curd
In a small saucepan, combine the eggs, sugar, salt, lime juice, and lime zest. Whisk ingredients until smooth. Heat over medium until the mixture begins to bubble. Stir continuously until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat.
Grab a medium-sized bowl and strain the curd. Add in the butter and food coloring and whisk until the butter has melted and the mixture is smooth.
Cover with plastic wrap and allow to cool in the fridge for about an hour, allowing it to set up.
Ingredients For The Slime Cupcake Recipe
- Unsalted butter
- Egg whites
- Vanilla Greek yogurt
- Lime juice Vanilla
- Lime zest
- Green food coloring
- Baking powder
How to Make Lime Curd Cupcakes
This is a great recipe to keep in your digital or physical recipe box. You can serve these on the dog days of summer without any frosting for a refreshingly light dessert.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two cupcake pans with 24 liners and set aside. Using an electric hand or stand mixer, mix the wet ingredients together and mix until combined.
Add in the dry ingredients and mix on low speed for about a minute and then medium speed for another minute, until thoroughly combined. Stop and scrape the sides and mix again.
Divide equally among the cupcake liners, filling each cavity about ⅔ full. Bake for approximately 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
Ingredients For Buttercream Frosting
- Unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar Milk
- Neon green food color
How To Make Slime Buttercream Frosting
Is it slime filled buttercream? No, but it slime buttercream frosting sounded better than “green frosting…”
Using an electric hand or stand mixer, combine the softened butter, salt, and vanilla. Cream until smooth.
Add in approximately half of the powdered sugar and half of the milk. Mix on low speed until combined. Add in the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth and stiff peaks form.
Add in your desired food coloring and mix thoroughly.
Add the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large round tip and set aside. Next, add the lime curd to a piping bag and set aside. You don’t need a frosting tip for the lime curd.
Scoop out the center of each cupcake.
Cut a hole in the tip of the lime curd piping bag and pipe the curd into each hole until full, but not overflowing.
Add the tops back on the cupcakes.
With the frosting bag, begin on the outside edge of the cupcake and squeeze the frosting carefully to go around the cupcake and then spiral inwards and up to cover the curd and create a mound. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes.
Notes For Making Lime Curd Slime Cupcakes
- By using lime zest in the lime curd and cupcakes, you get a more concentrated citrus flavor. I use a zester grater like this to get a fine shred.
- If you do not have a cupcake corer on hand to make the holes in the cupcakes, you can use a melon baller, knife, piping tip, or apple corer. Any of these will work to get a hole for the lime curd.
- When frosting a cupcake, you can create a small mound in the center before making your way towards the center making circles.
More Delicious Cupcake Recipes You May Like
- Snickerdoodle Cupcake Recipe: If you are a Snickerdoodle cookie fan, you will fall head over heels for this cupcake recipe. They taste just like bakery-style cookies. They make a great after-dinner treat.
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Cupcakes: We love the balance between the tangy cream cheese and the sweetness of the blueberries. We use both in our frosting, giving you a fresh, clean, and delightful-tasting snack.
- Cookies and Cream Cupcakes Recipe: If you are a Harry Potter fan, you need to get your house colors on and head to the kitchen to make these delicious cookies and cream cupcakes. They are made in honor of Hedwig the Owl. Aren’t they great?
Please Save or Share
Your shares are how this site grows and I sincerely appreciate it. After you have created your slime cupcakes, please add them to your favorite dessert or Halloween pin board or share them on Facebook.