I made this free printable Valentine bookmark because we’re doing a candy-free Valentine’s Day this year. This coloring bookmark will make any little one smile – you can even pair it with a rainbow pencil or a few crayons!
Let me be honest. I made these to involve my daughter more in reading. Sure, they’re cute and this free printable Valentine bookmark would go over like gang-busters with little cupids everywhere, but I was selfish.
Why? I have an early reader and sometimes getting her to read can be… Challenging.
Tips to Foster a Love of Reading
Some kids fight reading like it’s a title fight match. In our house, we had an insatiable “listener of stories,” however, it was like pulling teeth to get her to read a book.
Over the past few months, we’ve researched how we could foster a love of reading in our early reader. These are some of what we’ve implemented and they seem to be working:
- read (or continue) to read to an early reader every day
- point out fun signs or packaging while out (this works WONDERS at Toys R’ Us)
- get as many early reading books as you can (from the library or buy your own)
- use apps – there are so many great reading apps which play like games kids love
- reward them – we implemented a 4 book = 1 fun activity of her choosing, though you can reward them with small toys, as well
- make reading fun by getting them involved in tertiary activities (such as coloring bookmarks they can use in their own books)
Free Printable Valentine Bookmark (Coloring Activity)
I’ve been tinkering with coloring bookmarks for my early reader. It’s helping her to read more and for any parent of an early reader, this is no small feat. Because the Christmas coloring bookmarks were such a big hit, I made these Valentine coloring bookmarks for her.
Today, I’m sharing one of the Valentine coloring bookmarks available in the Ruffles and Rain Boots shop free with you. If you have a preschooler to first-grader, these free Valentine printable bookmarks will be fun to gift and receive.
Ideas to Amplify Your Valentine Bookmark Gifting
Sure, printing these off and having your little one practice their scissor skills seems like a nice stopping point, but we can take things a bit further with our free Valentine printable bookmark… Of course, we can.
- add a few of Christmas coloring bookmarks to the back of the bookmark with washi tape
- hole punch the top, center of the bookmark and add a ribbon or embroidery thread
- punch a hole at the top and one at the bottom and run an unsharpened pencil through it
- stick the bookmark inside a sweet, Valentine-themed book and gift it to your little one
Over to You
Do you have any tips for early readers? Who will you gift your free printable Valentine bookmark printable to?
Please pin this to your favorite Valentine’s board on Pinterest or share it on Facebook. We love it when you share and are sincerely thankful.
Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookie Ideas
Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookie Decorating Ideas