This adorable woodland deer ornament is made from wood slice rounds, a bit of felt, and a little paint. Let’s make this fun and quick Christmas craft.
Adorable Woodland Deer Ornament
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we love to make easy Christmas crafts and these woodland deer ornaments are just that! We used basic craft supplies and took about 20 minutes to put these together.
The kids will LOVE to help, so pin this fun holiday craft to your DIY ornaments ideas board on Pinterest. This ornament tutorial would be perfect for a rainy or snowy afternoon craft before dinner.
Supplies for This Cute Wood Slice Ornament
This is a simple Christmas ornament you can make with the kids. Young ones will need help with the ears.
- Wood slice and twine or a pre-strung wood slice round ornament
- Acrylic paint in light brown
- Felt in dark brown, pink, and black and a foam paintbrush
- Black paint pen or marker
- Glue and scissors
- Optional, ModPodge to seal and a foam brush
How to Make a Woodland Deer Ornament
Wood slices take DIY Christmas ornaments to an entirely new level – they just make it so easy for all ages to have fun crafting for the holidays. Tip: be sure to trace each wood slice because each felt piece will fit differently.
If you are creating a playlist on YouTube for Christmas crafts, our woodland deer ornament using a wood slice is here.
- Trace the wood slice onto a piece of dark brown felt and cut out the circle. Trim off the sides of the circle (see images) so that it resembles the face shape shown.
- Prepare the wood slice by painting it a light brown. It might need two coats. Let dry.
- While the paint is drying, cut out a small circle for the nose. For the ears, cut two light brown triangle shapes and two smaller pink triangle shapes. Glue the pink triangles to the brown and let dry. Then, pinch the bottom of the ear together and glue (older kids can sew).
- Once the paint has dried, glue the face shape onto the wood slice, lining it up with the top. Glue on the nose and ears.
- Use a paint pen or marker to create a closed eye (with or without eyelashes). Once dry, seal the adorable ornament with ModPodge to prevent the paint from chipping.
- Glue on a hanging string, if needed.
Be Sure To Follow Along with Ruffles and Rain Boots
We love making crafts here at the ‘Boots and would love to share them with you. Sign up to receive our weekly newsletter and you’ll get access to the Hand Lettering Library (full of free practice sheets and instructions) and the Exclusive Library (full of free cut files for cutting machines, tips on our favorite craft mediums, and all things fun)!
Please Save This to Pinterest or Share on Facebook
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful.