I am so excited to share this process (and secret craft supply) for rock painting gold and silver metallic rocks without using any paint!
As an Amazon Associate, I could earn from qualifying purchases.
Note: if you’re new to rock painting, here is our Get Started Page with tips and tricks.
My Secret to Rock Painting Gold and Silver Rocks
I have gold acrylic paint but it didn’t “WOW!” me after I used it to paint rocks. Because of that, I took apart my craft cabinet to decide what would be quick and easy for making gold and silver rocks.
After a single application on the rocks, let me tell you: I was most certainly “WOWed!” This stuff is so quick to apply and a little goes a long way. I found that they also make the shiniest finish.
A Beginner’s Rock Painting Idea, Metallic Rocks
While I was tinkering around with this medium, I created two rocks and they turned out pretty neat.
Because of the time-saving trick, they are quick to make and are an easy rock painting idea for beginners.
Metallic Rock Painting Video Tutorial
If you ‘re a visual learner, see how easy it is to make metallic rock painting ideas without paint.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Using This Medium
So when we’re evaluating craft supplies, I like to give you a breakdown of the good versus evil. Okay, so maybe not evil but there’s always a drawback or two.
- Easy to apply.
- Very quick application and buffing.
- You can paint on top of it without issue.
- It can be sealed without any running.
- You can’t “paint” with it, so if you want intricate gold designs this is not your solution. I use this for painting with gold and I love it.
- It smells a bit more than my acrylic paints (still workable inside the house).
How to Create Metallic Rocks with Words Tutorial
If you’re not one to watch the video, check out easy this metallic rock painting really is!
Step 1: Apply medium.
Step 2: Polish.
Step 3: Create designs to fit rocks.
Step 4: Transfer the design to the rock.
Step 5: Paint on designs (I used acrylic paint).
Step 6: Add details (I added different-sized dots).
More Rock Painting Ideas to Inspire
- This popular North Pole rock painting is popular because it’s easy and adorable!
- Learn to make a Christmas snow globe rock painting and stand.
- Whip up a fun Gingerbread House Rock Painting for the holidays.
Over to You
Have you used these products? I had completely forgotten I had them on hand but I’m glad they were in the craft supplies. Please share this quick rock painting craft to Facebook or Pinterest.