Hey, ya’ll. It’s no secret that I’m not a genius in the kitchen – or anywhere else, for that matter – but there are those who are! I wanted to introduce you to a fabulous side dish my sister shared with me.
This zucchini noodle side is a cinch to prepare, is ridiculously quick to put together, and is lip-smackin’ good.
Oh, and I forgot one of the best parts – you don’t have to cook anything!
Now before you say, “ooh, raw zucchini,” just try this. You will be amazed at the taste, I promise.
My husband, when eating this for the first time, said, “This. This is how you should prepare zucchini every time.” The little one even eats it, so it’s now become a staple in our house.
Click on “Read More” to learn how to have your family salivating for zucchini in no time! I’ve even created a moniker for it: super zucchini!
When I say that this is quick, think 5 minutes quick. We buy organic zucchini and sometimes this means they are smaller than non-organic, so I have to use two to feed the three of us. This week, however, I found the largest organic zucchini I’ve seen in the stores this year and we had a bit leftover.
It’s kind of weird to have a “supplies” section in a recipe, but let me tell you, this is awesome. I have the Swissmar Peeler Julienne Blade, Red peeler to make the noodles and my sister uses a Kitchen Basics® Spiral Vegetable Slicer – Stainless Steel Vegetable Spiralizer (partner links). Both of the ones I mentioned are under $10, but anything you have to julienne vegetables would work.
There is a secret ingredient to this recipe, and because you only use a small amount, it lasts a very long time!
I use the Cosina Rossa brand I found at Metropolitan Market for $16, but any brand of this is what you need: Roland Black Truffle Oil, 3.4-Ounce Bottle (partner link).
There is something magical about truffles, and if you don’t think about them too long, they make for a tasty addition to a lot of dishes.
They are expensive though, so this oil allows those of us who aren’t dining on caviar nightly to bring a taste of luxury to our dishes. Make sure it’s olive oil with black truffle, and you’re set to indulge!
- one zucchini
- handful of cherry tomatoes
- 10-15 olives (kalamata and/or black)
- 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp olive oil with black truffle
- 1.5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) or enough oil to coat to your liking
- 1 Tbsp sunflower seeds (optional)
- Wash everything and cut the cherry tomatoes and olives in half.
- Use the julienne or spiral slicer on the zucchini.
- To the zucchini, add in 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil with black truffle and 1.5 tablespoons of EVOO.
- Add the tomatoes and olives and refrigerate for about 20 minutes (I have served it immediately and received singing praises as well).
- Just before serving, you can add the sunflower seeds if you would like to use them.
This is ready in 5-7 minutes and is such a tasty side dish. As I mentioned, we have it at least once per week now, and everyone in the house is a fan.