When the kiddo asked me for a nightlight she could carry with her, this unicorn mason jar nightlight was my answer–and what a magical answer it was!
Unicorn Mason Jar Nightlight
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we are literally in love with rainbows and unicorns. Unicorns are just about the best and most fun magical creature ever imagined and rainbows just make you feel like magic can be real. I mean, bringing those two things together–that is just magic in action! So, when the kiddo asked for a nightlight she could carry with her to the bathroom, my gears started turning.
What we came up with, the little unicorn on top, the rainbow, a mason jar…it’s so perfect, I feel like we’re kind of geniuses. It’s pretty, useful and simple to make. Basically, these unicorn nightlights are perfect. If you’re ready to make a nightlight you’re going to love, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite unicorn craft ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make Unicorn Nightlights
- Start by grabbing the little unicorns to put on top here (they’re super cheap and the perfect size). You can use whatever other supplies you want, but what really makes this one of the best unicorn crafts of all time is the unicorn on top.
- Then, to make these unicorn nightlights, you have to actually have some lights. So, grab a set of fairly lights here and then you’ll have a few you can do different variations of nightlights with–or make a pair of light-up Mickey ears like these!
- Ok. With those two things out of the way, it’s time to pick out the napkin you want to decoupage onto the mason jar. I went with these cute rainbow napkins here. But you could do unicorn napkins or anything!
- Be sure to start with a clean mason jar. If you don’t, the paint won’t stick or it’ll look lumpy, if there’s a label under the napkin…so, just make sure to go with clean, cool?!
How Do I Make This Unicorn Mason Jar Nightlight?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 1 Mason Jar (with lid)
- 1 Rainbow Napkin
- White Acrylic Paint
- 1 3-Inch Unicorn Figurine
- 1 Set of Fairy Lights
- Craft Sealant (Mod Podge)
- Hot Glue Gun & Glue or E6000 Craft Glue
- Start with a clean and dry mason jar, then paint it white, including the lid. Allow this coat of paint to dry completely, applying a second coat, as desired.
- Paint the unicorns white and allow this coat of paint to dry completely, applying a second coat, as desired.
- Cut out a single ply of the rainbow napkin. Discard the rest (or use them on other projects).
- Apply a thin coat of Mod Podge to the area of the jar that you want the rainbow to sit on.
- Immediately position the napkin piece onto the Mod Podge, followed by another thin layer of Mod Podge on top, smoothing out the wrinkles in the napkin, as much as physically possible. I had the best success by placing the center of the rainbow first, then smoothing the napkin out toward the edges. Allow the Mod Podge to dry completely.
- Hot glue the unicorn onto the lid of the jar. I initially used hot glue, but the unicorn popped off after a few uses, so I used E6000 and it stayed much better this time around.
- Insert a set of fairy lights inside the jar with the controller on the outside toward the back of the jar so your kiddo can turn the lights on and off as needed. Enjoy!
For more fun unicorn craft ideas, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
More Unicorn Crafts You Might Like
- Summer Unicorn SVG Bundle – I adore these awesome unicorn SVGs–they’re everything fun about summer and the magical one-horned creature we all love.
- Unicorn String Art – Talk about fun, this easy craft idea is so quick and cute, you can have it done and ready to gift in just a few minutes!
- Unicorn Bath Bombs – Bath bombs with a unicorn theme?! YES! It’s a magical dream-come-true with a splash of fun!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite easy unicorn crafts board on Pinterest.