Use this weekly date night jar and commit to each other with a date night a week for a year! From free to luxurious, these 70 date night jar ideas will help you connect each and every week (family ideas included).
Weekly Date Night Jar
I spent a good deal of money on the husband’s milestone birthday and needed something frugal for Valentine’s Day this year.
We all know connecting with our spouses regularly helps maintain a strong and healthy relationship but life is busy! Finances change, kids happen, mama needs a pedicure… My point is these ideas are:
- date night ideas for free,
- date night ideas for the whole family, and
- even some luxurious options, too.
This weekly date night jar took less than an hour, including coming up with the ideas. If you use my ideas as a reference, you’ll be done in no time!
I spent $4 (price listed for what I purchased) and used what I had on hand for the rest.
- Craft Sticks $2.99 (Michael’s)
- Washi tape $0.99 (Target Dollar Spot)
- Wide-mouth Mason jar
- Fine-tip Sharpie marker
- Stickers to decorate jar
- Scraps of paper for a sign
You can either follow the simple steps below or print out the list of ideas, cut them out and put them in the jar as folded up strips of paper.
Get the printable list of 70 weekly date night jar ideas!
Instructions to Craft a Weekly Date Night Jar
Step 1: Wrap one end of each stick in washi tape, leaving the other end plain. You’ll flip over the sticks in order to know that one has already been selected.
Step 2: Write the date on one side of the stick. You can leave a couple blank to allow for impromptu dates to match the season or local opportunity (see the list below).
Step 3: Fill the jar with sticks (washi side up) and decorate the jar.
Step 4: Add a tag with the only rule: “Take a photo on your date.”
Step 5: Create a repository for the photo and at the end of the year, print the photos (or have them printed) into a book.
Ideas for Keeping and Printing Weekly Date Night Jar Photos
- Use a print-on-demand service on Instagram (like Chatbooks) – wouldn’t it be great to create an Instagram account just to document your weekly date nights?!
- Create a photo book on Shutterfly or even mementos on PicMonkey (my favorite).
- Set up a Facebook album
- Print out each week and add to a family album.
- Add a date jar idea stick to a journal (use washi tape) and then write a summary of the date.
Date Night Jar Ideas (some can include the entire family):
Ideas for Date Nights (some can include the entire family) – remember, you can get the list of 70 weekly date night jar ideas here.
- Dinner and a movie (his choice)
- Dinner and a movie (her choice)
- A night away (plan it as you pull it)
- Steakhouse, sushi, or ‘high dollar’ dinner (treating yourselves)
- At home movie night (his choice)
- At home movie night (her choice)
- Wine and Cheese Night
- Go through wedding book / videos
- Play scrabble (clean or dirty version)
- Tv show marathon (his choice)
- Tv show marathon (her choice)
- Write out a couples bucket list
- Sexy dice game
- Thrift store gift exchange ($10 limit)
- Tech-free date night out
- Family or couple impromptu photo shoot
- Mini road trip spent holding hands and snuggling
- Somewhere new in the neighborhood
- Go to a pottery or painting class
- Feed kid early and make a late-night dinner together
- Go to a nursery and pick out a new plant together
- Go out for dessert
- Have at 5 deep, long, slow kisses through the day
- Photogram – each snap pics of things that remind you of each other
- YouTube dance lesson
- Documentary night (or racy movie)
- Back deck dinner and wine
- Night car ride
- Breakfast date, sitting on the same side of the booth or table
- Paper airplane building and racing contest
- Go to a whiskey or wine-tasting
- Picnic on the beach
- Text back and forth why you love each other
- Couples double date night
- Firsts date – first date place, first kiss location, etc.
- Him – create a surprise date for her
- Her – create a surprise date for him
- Play a board game (can make it racy)
- Go to a local museum and hold hands
- Go to an arts and craft store, pick out, and create a project together
- Eat at a new, exotic restaurant
- Write love notes to each other and give them on the same day
- Plan a dream vacation together
- Dollar store date – pick out one thing that reminds you of each other, meet at the car, and exchange
- Plan a weekend getaway date (schedule it after securing child care)
- Go to the market together for a leisurely day (Pike’s Market here in Seattle)
- Play spin the bottle or another make-out game
- Make a why I love my life list
- Carve your initials in a tree (in your yard)
- Play 20 questions with each other
- Visit a close-by historical landmark
- Clean out a basement box together
- His choice
- Her choice
- Kid’s choice
- Blank – seasonal
- Blank – family-friendly in case childcare falls through
- Blank – fairs / amusement parks in town or while on vacation
- Blank – high-ticket outing like a play, ballet, or concert
- Make homemade ice cream sundaes
- Camping in the backyard
- Find an arcade and try and win each other the most ridiculous prize
- Walk on the beach (or around town)
- Stay in bed. All day.
- Go to a karaoke bar
- Make a living room fort (leave it up for the kids the next day)
- Share a milkshake at a diner
- Kiss on the Ferris wheel (or a city landmark)
For additional free or frugal date night jar ideas, check out these 33 at home date nights.
Use this weekly date night jar and commit to each other with a date night a week for a year! From free to luxurious, these 70 ideas will help you connect each and every week.
Please pin this – I sincerely appreciate the share!
You might enjoy:
Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookie Ideas
Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookie Decorating Ideas