Do you ever come across recipes and think it should be in your belly RIGHT NOW? I’m sharing a wonderful recipe for strawberry banana bread that will knock your strawberry socks off, and not just because it’s waistline-friendly!
I have no idea where I found her, but Monique with Ambitious Kitchen, has one of the best food sites. She should have been my neighbor because I have this recurring daydream in which I buy all of the groceries, and she makes me healthy, delicious vittles. I consider it a win-win proposition, but alas she’s nowhere near Seattle and she’s kinda famous so her security detail would probably stop me from inviting myself over.
Si triste, mes amis. So sad, my friends.
A while back, she shared a recipe for a strawberry, coconut, chia seed banana bread. Quite a mouthful, eh? Don’t let her ingredients list fool you, this was easy and quick to put together and I had everything on hand without a trip to the store.
Skinny Strawberry Banana Bread Recipe
This strawberry banana bread is definitely one for the recipe box. Instead of adding the coconut into the bread, I opted just to sprinkle just a small amount on top. I altered her recipe because although I like coconut, I didn’t want all the extra calories it brings.
Speaking of calories, this is a waistline-friendly bread – the original recipe only has 157 calories per slice (12 slices). Not too shabby, even when I admit I’ll probably have two slices for lunch today.
Here is my adapted recipe:
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ripe mashed banana (about 2-3 bananas)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond, cashew, coconut, or skim milk
- 1 cup diced organic ripe strawberries
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2-4 strawberries, sliced for topping
- unsweeted shaved coconut, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 9 inch loaf pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat beat together banana, brown sugar, egg, coconut oil vanilla, yogurt, and almond milk until creamy. Add the dry mixture slowly and mix. Fold strawberries and chia seeds into the batter until combined.
- Transfer batter into the loaf plan, and top with sliced strawberries and unsweeted coconut.
- Bake for about an hour until a toothpick or skewer comes out clean. Leaving the bread in the pan, cool for 20 minutes on a wire rack, transferring the bread directly to the rack afterwards to fully cool.
Kids in the Kitchen
Having kids measure out the dry ingredients helps, but they’re going to be more interested in mashing the strawberries and bananas. So get your kids in the kitchen with you and whip up this tasty bread! Served warm, with a small pat of butter and a warm cup of tea makes this strawberry banana bread a divine quick bread to have when company comes over. Or, you know, just for when you’re setting up a tea party with your three year old.
Would you be so awesome and share this with your friends and followers on Pinterest? This divine (and oh-so-easy bread) should definitely be shared!
If you’re interested in other tasty treats, try some of these (hover for the description):